Thursday, July 21, 2011

“Those who bring sunshine to others cannot keep it from themselves”


This quote by James M. Barrie was displayed across the PowerPoint screen that I saw walking into the reception hall for the volunteer luncheon at St. Lucy’s this morning. The beautifully decorated hall was set for morning tea –complete with flowers, china displays of fruits and miniature pastries, and of course, tea sandwiches! I was joining Marg O’Shea for her presentation of Dominican heritage to the volunteers at St. Lucy’s, a Dominican primary school for children with disabilities.
Ella

St. Lucy’s is centered on communication, independence and confidence, while also integrating Dominican values in education. It was started in 1938 with the Dominican Sister’s emphasis on the blind (much like how the Catherine Sullivan Centre focused on the deaf) and eventually evolved into a program that taught over 140 children with a range of disabilities. As I toured the facilities, the director informed me of their educational approached based on the ‘Reggio Emilia’ philosophy –students learn by stimulating their senses through the creative arts, technology and role-playing. There are “start right” and “aim high” programs designed to strengthen skills necessary in regular classrooms so that the students might have the opportunity to eventually integrate into mainstream primary schools.
The director also was proud to point out the influence of the Dominican tradition in the school. Not being a Catholic herself, she said she learned just as much about the Dominican heritage and values as she did about special education coming into her role as director of the school a few years ago. In particular, one of the volunteer speakers at the luncheon highlighted the importance of individuality, community and joyfulness in St. Lucy’s students.
Joshua
Yet, what impressed me the most about today’s escapade was not these words simply projected above the flowery, fancy tables in the reception hall, but rather how they were genuinely lived out in the classrooms. After the luncheon, I was brought out to the “Brontosaurus” classroom (it’s difficult to classify students by traditional grades at St. Lucy’s and instead they are grouped by ability and special needs) and sat in on ‘maths’ time with 6-8 year olds.
I certainly found that idea of individuality to be true; although the 9 students in the classroom were all dressed in their comfortable and kid-friendly uniforms, they all uniquely portrayed the image of God. The teacher and her aid talked me through each of their situations and learning abilities, devising personalized curriculums to support each of their strengths and weaknesses. Being there just for the afternoon, I was able to get a sense of each of their personalities. Jessie loved copying Ben –especially when impersonating Michael Jackson and his ‘Thriller’ dance. Joshua showed intense concentration while stringing patterns of beads together over a the craft table, while Emily’s quiet friendliness shone through as she inched her seat closer and closer to me on the carpet. Each of these kids brought a unique sense of joy to the classroom by just being their beautiful selves.
Arabella

As a PSP major, I was especially conscience of the sense of community that had been proudly acknowledged earlier. Not only did I see it in the physical closeness of sitting in a circle on the carpet or sharing lunch together, but it was also evident in the welcoming friendliness both the teachers and students displayed. Here I was, a strange American student with little experience in special education, wandering into their classroom for the afternoon. Yet, the students did not for one minute hesitate to accept me into their daily routine and immediately called me over to play with their blocks and card games. Even as I was leaving, a few of them called out “So when are you coming back?” As much as I wanted to assure them I would, I couldn’t make a promise I would not be able to keep. Despite the physical separation, I do know that I will continue to reflect on the their innocent welcome they extended my way.
Of the three Dominican values, however, it was the joyfulness of the students that struck me the most. The Dominican value of joy is seen as a way to God and to help others reach this fullness as well. Originally embarking on this Smith Fellowship, I had envisioned myself being able to bring service and joy to the people I would be meeting. Instead, my expectation seems to have been reversed. Despite the physical and mental handicaps that these children faced, their unrestricted smiles literally were able to light up the room. I returned home happier, thoroughly appreciating the sunshine they had brought, even on a day of rain. 

(photos provided courtesy of stlucys.nsw.edu.au)

No comments:

Post a Comment