Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Less is more...sometimes

Whoever said, “less is more” apparently never consulted 4-year olds armed with finger paint and glitter! I spent the morning up to my elbows in arts and crafts materials alongside the preschoolers at the Catherine Sullivan Centre during their weekly "playgroup" time. This program takes an early-intervention approach for hearing-impaired children and their parents before they enter school. Instead of sign language, the program focuses on the auditory-verbal learning program and the kids are fitted either with hearing aids or cochlear implants to help them hear. Volunteers work with kids 6 months and up in individual therapy sessions, language groups, weekly playgroup, preschool visits, field trips and family support programs. The Catherine Sullivan Centre upholds the Dominican legacy of working with the hearing impaired; its namesake was the first student with hearing impairment to be taught by the Dominican Sisters in Australia   and this type of education is still in full swing in Strathfield today.
When I first arrived, I was a little unsure of how to interact with the kids. Although I've had years of babysitting under my belt, I've never dealt with a hearing-impaired child. I wasn't sure if I would have to communicate with hand motions or sign language and if I would be able to pick it up in just one day. But in reality, these kids benefitted from amazing technology and responded like most hearing preschoolers. After getting a complete tour of the facility, I fell naturally into the arts and crafts station. There, I ended up working with Maxine, a quiet 4-year old who had positioned herself at the painting booth. During the span of 20 minutes, she demonstrated a rather interesting approach- layering. After squeezing out about 1/2 cup of paint (I wish I was exaggerating, but I have green and purple-covered arms to prove it!), she followed it by emptying a bottle of gold glitter. Deep in artistic concentration, she turned to me every few minutes so I could wipe her fingers clean of paint and confetti so she could start the process all over again.  She repeated it again and again until we ran out of paint and glitter and the paper ripped under the weight and she smiled proudly at her masterpiece.
Living with a hearing impairment is normal for this Maxine and her family and today I got a brief glimpse of how members of her community try to normalize her childhood experience. Years ago, she and other hearing impaired children might not have the opportunity or technology to participate in everyday activities, but now 5 out of the 6 "graduated" members from last year's playgroup went on to enroll in regular local kindergarten classes. I think this speaks volumes of the amazing technology these children and families are benefitting from, as well as the untiring involvement and support from volunteers who have even become considered part of the families over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment