Monday, July 4, 2011

G'day mate!




I am writing this Tuesday morning after one of the best night's sleep. Ever. What a difference being able to stretch out your legs without hitting your carry-on or the airplane seat in front of you! The flights from New York and LA went smoothly enough, though with a slight delay on the runway before Sydney (what's another 2 1/2 hours to a 14 hour flight?) My legs pretty much felt like jello by the time I made it through customs.
I was warmly greeted in the airport by Elizabeth Pooley and John Pow, their daughter, Rachel, who is 21, and Sr. Rose Mary, who has been my contact over the past months. Sr Rose Mary was even holding a homemade welcome sign, complete with the Dominican shield so that I would recognize her. Even though I had only seen their faces from a photo sent by email, it was one of the most welcoming sights after that long plane ride and arriving alone in another country! Back at the house I met the other two Pow girls, Sarah, who is 18 and is in her first year at uni (here, short for college) and Louise, who will be starting her senior year of high school after the school holiday. They had just finished final exams before my arrival and seem to be ready to enjoy their break. The girls were amazed at how long our summer vacations are- for the most part students get 4-6 weeks in between semesters, but breaks are also more frequent. Rachel just returned from a vacation with her friends in Bali as part of her winter break. The Pows have done quite a bit of traveling over the years- Emily, Rachel, and Sarah have all gone on class trips to South Africa, and Louise is preparing to go this year as well. (I think they will be my new travel resource before my own semester abroad in South Africa next spring!) Driving around the city, Rachel and Sarah pointed out a couple of the unis that are spread out downtown. They told me it is not nearly a common to go away to school, like it is in the states. Rather, most students commute from home to one of the unis that specializes in their major. Rachel is double majoring in social work and art and goes to the university in New South Whales, while Sarah is going for physical therapy (a bit different than what it is considered in the U.S.) and has to take the train about an hour and a half away.
After some time sitting around the kitchen table with the girls, chatting and comparing accents, school and family life, Elizabeth, Rachel, Sarah and I drove over to the beach and did the Bondi to Bronte beachwalk (which, with the addition of Australian accents, reminded me of the cliff walk in Newport!) It was great to be able to stretch my legs and get some exercise. We had lunch of fish and chips overlooking the beach and the countless surfers giving lessons. The beach also had an ice skating rink right past the boardwalk and it was a little weird seeing ice and sand literally inches from each other! Although the rink was looking a little melted (it wasn't all that chilly out- just about 60 degrees) it was decorated with banners with snowflakes, hot chocolate, and even a few fake Christmas trees here and there. Christmas in July, anyone? At points on the walk I caught myself walking on the wrong side, apparently disrupting the traffic flow! I didn't realize that walkways, too, operate like the roads- always stay to the left! (Though I'll have to remember to switch back after returning home, as there is little room for head-on traffic in the tight stairways of Feinstein...)























I'm headed to meet with Sr Rose Mary at one of the local primary schools, which houses Las Casas and where I will find out more what I will be doing during my stay! More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment