Monday, July 18, 2011

July 16th: A friendly face


Stepping off the train after the 2-hour ride to Newcastle and onto the platform, I was greeted by an energetic and smiling Sr Diana. I can’t think of a better word to describe her other than ‘feisty.’ Immediately after introduction, she grabbed my bag, hollering, “Come on, now! Let’s go! Keep up!” as we made the brisk walk to her car up a hill. I was soon to learn she was always on the move and she doesn’t plan on slowing down anytime soon. On our drive to her home, she informed me, rather matter-of-factly, “I’ll be staying around to turn out all the lights, if you know what I mean!” Diana, I came to find out, has been arrested on at least one occasion for protesting for a social justice issue early on in her career and easily gets fired up about the injustices faced by the Sudanese refugees that she works with. Even watching TV can be an intense activity –I was startled by an outburst of “Oh, you idiot!” as she addressed a rugby player who fumbled the ball on a game-winning play. Throughout the evening, she continued to surprise me, especially when discussing the ever-popular Colin Firth (“I don’t mind watching a scene or two when he’s in a damp t-shirt. What? As a sister, I’m supposed to appreciate the beauties of God’s work!”).
Diana lives with Sr Betty, who is sort of the port in a stormy sea, much more quiet and laid back and lovingly cares for the three dogs, Bella, Princess and Jack at home. (On more than one occasion, Betty has nodded at me after one of Diana’s outbursts, rolling her eyes.)
Diana, shocked that I had not yet spotted kangaroos or koalas, she carted me off then and there to the nearby wildlife reserve to make sure I got the proper Aussie experience.  We parked, walked through the gates, and bam! Kangaroo sighting!
G'day mate!






After leaving the reserve, we made a last-minute visit to John Hunter Medical Hospital to see Sr Beth Egans, who had just suffered from a stroke this morning. I am amazed by the energy, dedication and compassion that Diana shows. On our way into the hospital, Diana quoted good ol’ Forrest Gump, “What is the meaning of life? I don’t know, I just keep running.” Staying true to her word, she scoffed at the elevators full of visitors and went straight for the stairs, me jogging behind her to keep up (perhaps I’ll register her for the next Sydney Tower sprint?). Diana brought me in to meet Beth, who despite having EMT people huddled around her bed who were preparing to transport her another ward, insisting on giving me a hug and kiss, and knew who I was before I had the chance to introduce myself. I watched as Diana’s energy lit up the room, bringing joy not only to Beth but also the three other patients sharing the room. Her spark –whether fighting for her refugee families, or simply touring an American student through the bush –is incredibly inspiring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment