Monday, July 18, 2011

July 17: Joy


I’ve come to the conclusion that Sr Diana very well could be the energizer bunny –she keeps going…and going…and going…
Every 10 minutes, a freight train of 50 cars leaves the coal
piles to bring it to the ships at port.
Keeping with the Dominican sisters’ habit of a full itinerary, we were up at 6:30, showered, had eaten breakfast (all the sisters constantly insist on giving me full meals, wherever I am), loaded the car and trailer, and attended mass down the street before starting the day’s activities. We first drove to see the coal port –Diana informed me that Newcastle is home to one of the world’s largest coalmines and processes an incredible amount of coal per day. The noise and smell was tremendous, and we were lucky that the wind had not picked up to blow clouds of coal dust.
Regina and Sr Diana posing for a picture
Our next stop was the town of Cessnock to visit a family of Sudanese refugees, who have been living in a hostel there for the past two years. Diana spent the morning catching up with and introducing me to Regina, her daughter, Gloria, and Gloria’s newborn, Molly MacKillop (named for the Australian saint? Perhaps…). She helped them sort out logistical questions; because Regina is not able to read or write in English yet, Diana helps out regularly with mail and governmental forms. Together, we built a “chook” (chicken) house and yard from recycled fencing and stakes Diana and I had brought in the trailer.  The family will go to the county fair in a week or two to pick out chickens to raise –although after another sleepless night, Gloria teasingly threatened to throw Molly in the pen instead. Diana recognized that gardening and farming was a central part of the Sudanese life back in Africa and wants to be able to bring them healing by giving the family the opportunity to do some here.
Gloria and Molly proudly showing off their new chook house

This quest for farmland lead us to our next stop at Golka, the Hare Krishna farm, where we met with the head farmer, Andre, to inquire about giving some of the Sudanese families a few plots to work with. This farm is set in the valley between mountains and had the most amazing scenery and wildlife –I even spotted a kangaroo grazing along the drive on the way into the farm! 
Andre was working in his greenhouse, which was dedicated to growing “holy basil.” He plants the seedlings on days of a full moon and he explained that the Hare Krishna’s believe these plants are manifestation of one of the female deities. After walking through the garden and exploring the farm, Diana took me up to see the temple and meet Calia, who is at the head. It was my first time ever seeing a Hare Krishna worshipping community and I was a bit confused and unsure as to how to respond to the “Hare Krishna” greeting and bowing that everyone did as we passed. Calia was an older, gentle-looking man, draped in a beige robe, which looked much like a toga, a stripe of paint down his forehead and bridge of his nose and was completely shaven except for a patch of long hair on the back of his head. Like every host I have met on m travels, he graciously offered us lunch; while it was being prepared, Diana nudged me and whispered, “I come here to get fed by the best cooks!” He brought out plates of fresh vegetables from the gardens, rice, curry, flatbread, and “sweet rice” (like rice pudding) made with cream from the cows on the farm. It was absolutely delicious! Diana was even more thrilled when Calia sent us home with fresh, homemade fudge, which we broke into before even reaching the parking lot!
The temple is the most famous in Australia –Di described it as “small, yet respected”
and there was a crowd of visitors from Sydney and other areas for the weekend
 
After a long day on the road, Diana then took me back to the house to give me her own tour of her ‘permaculture garden.’ This house would make any environmental science teacher proud! Diana has invested in countless environmental systems, including south side facing windows to maximize sunlight to warm the house, solar panels on the roof, and rainwater collection bins. She also uses recycled water filters –I came to find out that the water for my shower this morning was being recycled through coconut fiber beds filled with worms (really?!) and then used to fill the toilet tanks and water the garden. Pretty amazing stuff.
Tonight I reflected on the people I had met today that were in various economic, social and religious situations. At the risk of sounding cliché, I came to the realization that despite these outward differences that initially put me out of my comfort zone, I found them all exuding joy and in some way they also shared this joy with others. I received warm welcomes from all of the parishioners at mass early this morning in hugs and handshakes and although separated by language, in her own way Regina was just as joyful and welcoming with her abundant smiles and plates of cookies. Gloria passed along the happiness of her newborn baby by giving her to me to hold and admire just as I saw Calia’s generosity through his quiet spirituality. Even the two sisters’ love of life was catching –Betty’s joy in her love of cooking and Diana’s energy and enthusiasm for sharing the treasures of her garden. After spending some time talking and listening –actively listening –to each of these people, it was harder to recognize the differences I originally perceived and instead I could see how each was able to express joy.




No comments:

Post a Comment